The first case of coronavirus is in New Jersey, just two towns away from my 80-year old parents and three towns away from my kid’s high school. We’re about twenty minutes away.
Steve’s trip to Toronto next month was cancelled. My education conference in Florida in May hasn’t been cancelled yet, but I’m waiting for that.
Steve said that this virus is accelerating the movement that was already underway to have more workers work remotely and to have fewer workers attend conferences and traveling to other offices world wide. It will save the company a lot of money, if workers aren’t taking up expensive real estate in Manhattan.
It will save us a lot of money, if he’s here permanently. The parking space near the train station alone costs us $1,200 per year. He won’t miss his 2-1/2 hour daily commute. If there’s a silver lining on this whole mess, maybe that’s it.
We’re starting to think about where in the house Steve will work. Right now, we share an office, but that will get old really fast, if he’s here full time. Maybe we’ll put Jonah in Ian’s room, and turn Jonah’s bedroom into Steve’s office. Not sure yet.
And then what happens if Ian’s school shuts down? Will he have online classes here, too? Will Jonah’s trip in May to Guatemala through his college be cancelled? Will his college shut down?