Things are going to get super bad this week. Some officials are saying that this is going to be our generation’s Pearl Harbor. I thought 9/11 was my Pearl Harbor, but I was wrong.
I’m in the nation’s hot spot and I’m hearing the whispers from people who are close to medical workers or policeman. I’m hearing stories about dead bodies left in apartments, because no one will touch them. I’m hearing nurses calling their hospitals “war zones.” And these aren’t some far off places. These are hospitals that I drive past every day. One was a hospital that Ian and I were in just three weeks ago.
And this isn’t going away for a long time. If Bill Gates is thinking long term, we should, too. And wait until this virus gets to sections of the country that have already been ravaged by drugs and bad diets. The Tiger King parts of the country aren’t going to handle this well.
I urged Steve to triple the production of little seedlings this morning. We’re looking at various corners of the property with the best sunlight to massively expand our backyard garden. I’m thinking about building a new raised garden bed using railroad ties. I’ll share pictures of that project as we go along.
My mom begged that we stay away from the supermarket this week. I have to do one last shop tomorrow, because my boys are powering through gallons of milk too quickly. We have to rethink our shopping system, so we can avoid that place for as long as possible.
In the meantime, we’re cooking, hiking, running, writing, studying, gaming, chatting, and even watching streaming Palm Sunday mass at St. Patrick’s Cathedral. All this is surreal.
So, here are my pearls in this midst of Pearl Harbor:
- Must watch Rachel Ray’s Instagram cooking shows from her home kitchen in upstate New York. She is totally cute without makeup.
- I’ve taken photography classes on Lynda.com before. Excellent. Thinking about trying another topic, like business classes.
- Here are three new recipes that we tried and loved this week: Cheesy White-Bean Tomato Bake, Death By Chocolate Mousse, Made-in-the-Pan Chocolate Cake.
- Best way to clean a shower. After you take a shower, squirt the whole thing with three different types of chemicals and walk away. It cleans itself!
- Have you organized your skin and nail care products? That’s my plan for the week, since there’s little chance that I’m going to a salon in the next few weeks.
A Weekend Hike
Chicken soup cooking…
Be well, be safe, everyone.